For the Chicken:
- 1/2 cup low fat greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb of chicken breast or thighs
For the Hummus:
- Click the link above for the perfect hummus recipe!
For the Toum:
- 6 – 8 garlic cloves (1 ounce of garlic)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 TBSP water
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 jar of pickled banana peppers
- 4 – 6 pitas
Make the Chicken:
- In a medium sized bowl combine together the spices, add the yogurt, milk, and lemon juice then whisk to combine.
- Slice the chicken into strips about 1/4 inch thick and 2 – 3 inches in length.
- Stir the chicken into the marinade until it’s completely coated, then refrigerate a minimum of 30 minutes or up to two days.
Make the Hummus:
- Place the chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, salt, paprika, and water into the container of a food processor, mini chopper, or blender and pulse to combine.
- If needed, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time, to reach the desired consistency.
Make the Toum:
- Place the garlic, salt, lemon juice, water, egg white, and vegetable oil into the bottom of the mason jar.
- Place the immersion blender into the jar, touching the bottom. Turn it on high and let it do it’s work.
- As you start to see the oil emulsify and turn white, begin to rock the immersion blender gently back and forth to help draw in the ingredients. In about 2 – 3 minutes you will have a super thick, super flavorful garlic sauce that will keep for about 2 – 3 weeks in the fridge.
Cook the Chicken:
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in just enough olive oil to keep the chicken from sticking. Add the chicken to the skillet a few pieces at a time and sauté for about 1 – 2 minutes on each side, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Assembly and eating!
- Cut the pitas into 6 triangles.
- Open up the first pita triangle and layer on the garlic sauce, followed by a banana pepper or two, then a couple chunks of chicken and a dollop of hummus.
- Gently wrap the tips of the triangle around the filling and enjoy!
When making the hummus in advance it may dry out and thicken up in the fridge. A little extra water will get it back to the right consistency.
For the toum do not use olive oil. Select a refined, neutral oil that is liquid at room temperature – I like canola oil.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main