Create a fun ginger beer chicken on the grill with a simple can of soda and a ginger ale glaze.
- 1 (13- x 9-inch) disposable aluminum baking pan
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (3½- to 4-lb.) whole chickens
- 2 (12-oz.) cans ginger ale
- Ginger Ale Glaze
Ginger Ale Glaze
- 2 cups ginger ale or ginger beer
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Light 1 side of grill, heating to 400° to 475° (medium-high to high) heat; leave other side unlit, placing disposable baking pan under grill grate. Stir together salt and next 5 ingredients; sprinkle mixture inside cavity and on outside of each chicken.
- Reserve just ¾ cup ginger ale from each can to put toward the 2 cups needed in glaze. Place chickens upright onto each can, fitting can into cavity. Pull legs forward to form a tripod.
- Pour water to a depth of 1 inch into disposable pan. Place chickens upright on unlit side of grill above pan. Grill, covered with grill lid and rotating chickens occasionally, 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until golden and a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove chickens from cans, and carve. Serve with Ginger Ale Glaze.
Ginger Ale Glaze
- Stir ginger, brown sugar, grated ginger, and ground red pepper together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced to about ¼ cup.
- Category: Main