This stunning vegetarian dish is a deconstructed spin on the flavors of pesto – surprisingly simple for how fancy it looks.
- 8–10 garlic scapes
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 5/6 anchovies
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- olive oil
- grated cheese (optional)
- lemon (optional)
- Wash garlic scapes and cut them in half. Using a vegetable peeler, shred the scapes into long ribbons.
- Wash broccoli rabe and cut into small pieces. (Only use the parts of the stalk that have leaves/florets).
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or wok. Add anchovies to pan.
- When oil is hot, add broccoli rabe and garlic scapes. Stir periodically.
- After about a minute, toss in the chopped walnuts.
- Cook until greens are tender, but the scapes should still be al dente.
- Remove from heat, dress with grated parmesan and lemon juice to taste.
If you would like a heartier meal, you can use this dish as a topping for pasta.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins