- 2 large eggplants
- 1 jar Ragu® Old World Style® Traditional Sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil (or cooking spray)
- Slice both eggplants into quarters (i.e., 4 wedges, like if you were cutting a potato), then cut those into ¼-inch slices length-wise. (Note from Dan – Why did you cut your eggplant into quarters? I’m just going to start at one end and slice my way down. And have round slices instead of weird triangular slices.)
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt, to taste. Allow salted eggplant to sit for 15-30 minutes.(If you wish, you can rinse the salted slices and pat dry with paper towels. We love salt in our house, so I didn’t.)
- In a deep dish, mix together eggs and Parmesan, then season with salt/pepper to taste.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray, or coat the bottom of the skillet with about 1 tbsp olive oil. Heat skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip eggplant slices in your egg/Parmesan batter and allow excess to drip off.
- Place slices two or three at a time in your hot skillet.
- Fry on both sides until tender/soft and golden-brown. Set cooked slices aside on a plate. (Re-apply cooking spray/olive oil to your pan as needed after each batch.)
- Repeat steps 5-7 until all slices are cooked.
- Set oven to low broil.
- Arrange the dish by placing one eggplant slice on the bottom of a baking sheet, then spoon some of your Ragu sauce on top, sprinkle on some Mozzarella, and then top with another slice of eggplant. Repeat until you get as high of a stack as you want, making sure that your top layer is Ragu sauce + Mozzarella. I got 4 total stacks, with 6-8 slices eggplant each. (Note from Dan #2 – Individual stacks of eggplant parm? No. Nobody has time for that. I’m layering my circular slices in a baking dish and creating family-style big eggplant parm.)
- Place baking sheet in your oven, and broil for about 1-2 minutes, or until cheese on top is hot and melty/bubbly.
- Remove, and serve immediately.
- Category: Main, Primi
- Cuisine: Italian-Inspired