The nutty and earthy flavor of mung bean mixed with spices and seasonal cauliflower makes this dish a balanced one item meal.
- 1 cup Moong/Mung bean
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into medium florets
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 small cardamom
- 2–3 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick piece, about 1 inch
- ½ tea spoon turmeric
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2–3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 green chilli
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 2 table spoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Take all the spices from fennel seeds to cinnamon and dry roast for 3-5 minutes until aromatic and slightly darker. Let cool.
- Grind the spices. Set aside.
- Sort, wash and drain mung dal.
- Heat oil in a pan. Sauté onion until translucent.
- Add garlic and chilli and continue to sauté until fragrant.
- Add mung beans and fry until slightly golden and aromatic.
- Add water and boil beans with salt and turmeric until cooked tender but firm. Start with 2 cups of water and add as needed if beans become too thick.
- Add the powdered spices mix.
- Add cauliflower florets and tomatoes. Continue to boil until soft.
- Garnish with cilantro. Let the flavors absorb for about 5-8 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Indian