Soft and spicy, with a hint of sweet cranberries this skillet bread is great with soup or as a morning bread.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 150 gr all purpose flour
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 150 ml milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- I used a small Dutch Oven to bake this bread. A 20 cm pan makes about 1 fairly flat bread.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- In a bowl, sift the all purpose flour with baking powder, black pepper and salt.
- Pound the chipotle and the fresh cilantro/coriander leaves until it is coarse paste.
- Add the cranberries to the flour and toss for them to be coated.
- Whisk the milk, honey and eggs in a different bowl and stir in lightly with the flour mix. Add the paste of chipotle and cilantro/coriander. Add the melted butter and stir just until blended.
- Add ½ tablespoon oil to the Dutch oven and heat the pan over the stove top or in the oven until the oil shimmer and is really hot. When the dough is added to this, it should sizzle loud.
- Remove pan from the stove top or the oven and scrape half of the batter into the hot pan. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the center springs back when gently pressed. The bread should be golden brown and crispy at the edges.
- Turn the bread out onto a rack to cool and slice only when cooled.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Baking