A hearty salad to pack for lunch in the office or a picnic in the park, filled with good things and flavors.
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup or more additional chopped walnuts
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add one cup of brown rice.
- Cover, lower the heat and simmer for about 50 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, wash and cut the ends off the asparagus.
- Steam the asparagus for several minutes (they should still be bright green.)
- Cool them, then cut into pieces about an inch and a half long.
- Wash the tomatoes and slice them in half.
- To prepare the pesto, place the basil, walnuts, and garlic in the food processor and process for about a minute until finely chopped.
- Scrape the contents into a bowl, then stir in the olive oil, parmesan and salt and pepper to taste.
- When the rice is finished, allow it to cool, then stir in the pesto.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice with the vegetables and stir.
- Finally, stir in about 1/4 cup or more if desired chopped walnuts and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins