Make this piña colada mousse a day ahead of your party for an easy dessert of coconut cream, eggs, and pineapple for tons of flavors. Rum optional. Adapted from Epicurious.
- 5 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 cans coconut milk, full fat, refrigerated overnight
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, divided
- Shredded unsweetened coconut, optional
- 3 tablespoons gold rum
- In a small saucepan, combine pineapple juice and honey and simmer until liquid reduces a bit, about 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks well. Add half of egg yolks into the saucepan in a slow stream, stirring constantly. Add the rest of the yolks, stir, Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the mousse has cooled and thickened. Scoop out the firmed up coconut milk from one can and place in a medium bowl. Add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form and it takes on a “whipped” appearance. Add rum to coconut whipped cream and beat until combined.
- Fold coconut whipped cream into mousse. Cover and chill mousse for at least two hours.
- Before serving, open second can of coconut milk, remove solid and place in bowl, add remaining ½ teaspoon of vanilla, and whip with electric mixer. When ready to serve mousse, top with coconut whipped cream. Sprinkle with shredded coconut if desired.
- Category: Dessert, Mousse
- Cuisine: Dairy-free, Gluten-free