These easy flower shaped buns are not only pretty, but they taste amazing, too. With fresh butter to melt on top they’re a smash hit for the fall season.
- 350gr Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ Tbsp + 1 ½ Tbsp Honey (divided)
- ¼ Cup + ½ Cup Warm Water (divided)
- 1 Tbsp Dry Yeast
- 1 Apple – Peeled and diced into small cubes
For Honey Syrup for brushing:
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Boiling Hot Water
- In a small bowl, place the Yeast with ½ Tbsp honey and ¼ cup warm water and stir. Set aside for about 10 minutes until foam forms).
- In the meantime, prepare the rest of the dough by placing the flour, oil, 1 ½ Tbsp honey and diced apple in a stand mixer bowl.
- Add in the yeast mixture and start mixing on low-medium speed with the knead attachment. Gradually add the additional ½ cup warm water while stirring until a soft and a bit sticky dough forms (about 3 minutes).
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead it on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes and then place back in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until the dough almost doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 185C (365F) and layer a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After about 45 minutes, dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch it to deflate it.
- Divide into 9 pieces and start shaping. You can shape into any bun shape.
- For flower shape, follow the images below (roll the dough, flatten a bit, cut edges of roll, roll into a spiral).
- place shaped buns onto the baking sheet and cover all with clean kitchen towel and set aside for 30-35 minutes in a warm place to let the buns rise.
- After 30-35 minutes, place in the preheated oven and bake for 17-20 minutes until the buns are golden brown and sound hollow when you tap on them.
- While the buns are baking make the honey syrup to brush them with, by mixing together the honey and boiling hot water.
- Once the buns are out of the oven, brush them with the syrup while they’re still hot and let cool.
- Prep Time: 90 mins
- Cook Time: 17 mins
- Category: Baking