A light summer dessert of shortcake and strawberries is soaked in a sparkling rosé wine for even fruitier fun flavor.
For the Cake:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter (chilled)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 additional egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 3/4 C cake flour
For the Topping:
- 2 pPints fresh strawberries (cleaned and cut)
- 1 C Casal Garcia sparkling rose
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 pint heavy cream
- mint leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, cut butter up into pieces and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, yolks and vanilla until well-combined.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and make sure rack is placed in middle of oven.
- Grease and flour a 9×5 loaf pan.
- Using a mixer set to high, beat butter until creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Continue mixing on medium while slowly adding sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- Increase speed to high again and continue to mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium again and slowly add egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Mix now on high for 3 minutes,
- Sift flour over mixture in 3-4 step: while folding flour into batter, using spatula until all flour is folded in.
- Pour mix into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, about an hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Allow to cool completely for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- To prepare topping:
- In a medium-sized bowl, add sparkling wine and sugar and mix until all sugar has dissolved.
- Add strawberries and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add heavy cream and mix with hand mixer for 4-6 minutes until cream forms medium peaks:
- To assemble the plate:
- Slice cake and lay on plate. Spoon 2 Tbsp of juice from strawberry mixture onto each slice of cake and allow the cake to absorb liquid.
- Top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream and garnish with mint leaves.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cake, shortcake, rose, sparkling wine, adult