These pickles are “cooked” in the sun so all you need to make them is hot weather, an airtight jar and something to go into it.
- 5 medium sized carrots
- 1 and 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp coarsely ground brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chili
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs olive oil ( you can also use mustard oil if it’s available)
- A sterile airtight jar
- Wash the carrots.
- Peel and dry them with a paper towel.
- Slice them into 2 inch long pieces. You need about 2 cups worth of carrot pieces.
- Put the carrot pieces in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix together the salt, turmeric, oil, lemon juice and mustard seeds.
- Pour the carrots into the bowl of spices and oil.
- Mix everything together well. I reached in with my hands and gave them a little massage, making sure the carrots were totally covered in oil and spices.
- Put the carrot and spice mixture into a clean airtight glass jar.
- Place the jar of carrots in the sun all day long.
- Bring them in at night and refrigerate them. They’ll be ready to eat the next day and will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Category: Side