This smooth and creamy pumpkin soup would make a great first course for your Thanksgiving feast.
- 1 small pumpkin or large winter squash
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups water
- Pickled apples
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Split the pumpkin and scrape out the seeds and pith, oil the cut surfaces with olive oil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Place the halves cut side down on a baking sheet, with a sprig of thyme and 2 cloves of garlic, tucked underneath each seed cavity. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or until completely tender.
- When the pumpkin is cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh (or peel off the skins) and add the pulp to a soup pot along with the roasted garlic and ricotta cheese. Mash them together with a potato masher or spoon; add the cider and water, and heat to a simmer. Taste and correct the seasoning.
- Serve, garnished with a few slices of pickled apple and a few roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup