These alternatives to traditional burgers are full of seasonal flavors like dried thyme and grilled apples.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion, grated
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1 T Dijon Mustard
- generous salt and pepper throughout
- 1 Gala apple, cored and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 leaves Boston Lettuce
- Barbecue Sauce
- 4 hamburger rolls
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- In a bowl, combine the ground pork, garlic, onion, thyme, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Mix gently and form into four evenly sized patties. Make a shallow indentation in the center of each with your thumb to prevent the burgers from expanding when grilled. Season patties generously with salt and pepper and place on the grill crates.
- Grill the burgers for 5-6 minutes and flip. While the burgers are grilling, place the apples on the grill for 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside the apples. Once the burger has been grilling for 10 minutes total, evenly distribute the grated sharp cheddar cheese on top. Keep the burgers on the grill for 1 more minute to allow the cheese to melt.
- Toss the Boston Lettuce leaves in a bowl with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. To assemble the burgers, lay a leaf of Boston Lettuce onto the bottom half of each roll (toasted if desired!). Remove the burgers from the grill to the buns, top with a grilled apple slice and heaping dollop of barbecue sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Main