Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 30 mL
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp each oregano (smoked paprika, salt, pepper)
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 or 4 toasted burger buns depending on if you want double cheeseburgers
- Toppings: sliced tomatoes (lettuce, sliced red onions)
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- Prep Mushrooms: Clean portobellos gently with a damp paper towel. Remove stems (and gills, if you don’t like the texture). In a small bowl, combine olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings. Brush liberally onto the tops and bottoms of the mushrooms.
- Cook Mushroom Burgers: Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/high. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until slightly softened, brushing with remaining marinade to add more flavor. Alternatively, cook on the grill for 5 minutes per side until grill lines appear. Add cheese in the last minute of cooking.
- Assemble & Serve: Combine all “Fancy Sauce” ingredients in a small bowl. Serve mushroom burgers on toasted buns with fancy sauce, tomatoes, lettuce, and onion.
Can you eat the gills of a Portobello mushroom? Yes! The texture can turn a little mushy during cooking, so you can scrape them out if you prefer your Portobello Mushroom Burgers without (but I like them with gills and all).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main