Candied kumquats take minutes to make and they are a great topping for salads to ice cream and a gorgeous garnish. Recipe lightly adapted from Simply Recipes
- 14 ounces (2 cups) vanilla sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) water
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 lb 4 ounces (4 cups) halved kumquats*
- Combine sugar, water, vanilla bean seeds, and vanilla bean pod in a medium saucepan and
- mix together. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce heat as needed to reach a
- simmer. Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add kumquats to saucepan and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes, adjusting heat as
- Strain syrup from kumquats and transfer kumquats to a jar. Return syrup (with vanilla bean
- pod) to saucepan and simmer for another 5 minutes to reduce. Add 1/4 cup of the reduced
- syrup to the kumquats and store in refrigerator.
When you slice your kumquats, you can remove any seeds that easily come loose, but there’s no need to be very picky about it since the seeds are completely edible.
- Category: Dessert, Baking, Condiment