Lemongrass Braised Bison Osso Buco, an Asian-American-inspired play on the Italian classic, where hearty bison is slow-cooked to tender perfection. This healthy, flavorful dish is a comforting, mouthwatering tribute to the original.
- 4 lbs. Bison Osso Buco
- 1 bunch green onions (cut green and white into 1” pieces)
- 5 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 5 stalks lemongrass (cut into 1” pieces)
- 2 inches ginger (washed and sliced)
- 1 cup Madeira
- 1 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 pcs star anise
- 8 cups water
- Pat dry the bison and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat an enamel coated, cast iron Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add just enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the bison to the pan.
- Let it sit and don’t turn it until it is deep golden brown in color.
- Then flip and brown on the other side.
- Remove the bison from the pan and set on a plate.
- Add the green onions, garlic, lemongrass, and ginger to the oil.
- Stir until they are just starting to brown.
- Add the Madeira, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, star anise and water.
- Add the bison to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer, then lower heat and cook for 3 hours at your stove top’s lowest setting.
- After it is done cooking, remove the bison from pot, remove any silver skin from bison.
- Alternately you could place in a crock pot to finish.
- Put the bison in a heat proof dish and cover with aluminum foil and keep it warm in the oven.
- Put the pot over medium heat and cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the liquid to the bison.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes, and garnish with green onion.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 3.5 hrs
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: Italian American
Keywords: bison, buffalo, osso buco, italian, italian food, braised, slow cooked, stew, meat, beef, comfort food