As good as rhubarb is paired with strawberries, it’s also pretty good baked in a bundt cake flavored with buttermilk and lemon.
For the Cake
- 2 & 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons(for rhubarb) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 & 3/4 cups sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, I used a Meyer lemon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 lb rhubarb (3 cups), trimmed and thinly sliced
For the Lemon Buttermilk Glaze
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, plus more as needed
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 &1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray mini Bundt cakelet pans, I made 8 mini cakes or this recipe makes a 10-cup Bundt pan for one large cake.
To make the Cakelets
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest together for about 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed, stir in the lemon oil.
- Stir the flour mixture in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour.
- The batter will be thick.
- Toss the rhubarb slices with the 2 tablespoons of flour and fold half the rhubarb into the batter.
- Scrape the batter into the cake pans and sprinkle the remaining rhubarb on top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown on edges and the top springs back when pressed.
- Cool the cakes in the pan for about 10-15 minutes, remove from the molds and continue cooling on a metal rack, placed over a baking pan.
To make the Lemon Buttermilk Glaze
- Whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice, buttermilk and butter together in a medium bowl.
- The mixture should be thick, add additional powdered sugar if needed.
- Spread the glaze over the cakes as soon as you remove them from the pan.
- Covered cakes will last up to 4 days at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Baking