This soup is made with fresh heirloom tomatoes, apple juice and fennel, then seasoned with herbs to bring out the best in the ingredients.
- 8 each Heirloom tomatoes – chopped
- 2 each fennel bulbs – chopped, reserve the fronds
- 1 carrot- peeled & chopped
- 2 each onion – peeled & chopped
- 12 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 quart of Apple Juice
- 1 bunch of fresh picked tarragon
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot on medium heat sweat the onion, carrot, fennel, garlic, coriander seeds & fennel seeds until translucent.
- Deglaze with the apple juice and reduce by half.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer until cooked through.
- Add the fresh tarragon & sherry vinegar at the end and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Puree in a blender and strain through a chinos or fine strainer, season with salt and white pepper to taste then cool.
- In a saucepan bring salted water to a boil. Score an X on the bottom of the reserved heirloom tomato & blanch just for a minute or until the skin starts to peel away.
- Drop into your ice bath and allow too cool. Peel and remove the outer layer of tomato meat, small dice and toss into a bowl.
- Mix the diced concasse tomatoes with the fennel fronds, tarragon, olive oil and season to taste.
- For plating place a round ring mold into the center of a soup bowl, fill with your diced tomato mixture, lightly pack and remove mold.
- Garnish with nice sprig of fennel frond and pour warm soup tableside to finish
For hot version skip the step to drop bisque into ice bath
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Native American
Keywords: Heirloom tomato bisque, tomato soup, fennel bulb recipe, gourmet soups, tarragon seasoning, sherry vinegar, apple juice reduction, creamy bisque, homemade soup, fresh tomatoes, vegetarian dishes, warming winter meals, healthy tomato recipes, tomato and fennel combination, upscale dining recipes.