Spicy harissa baked egg avocados are a delicious and healthy way to start your day. The creaminess of the avocado, the richness of the egg, and the spiciness of the harissa combine to create a dish that’s full of flavor and packed with nutrients.
- 2 Avocados
- 4 organic Eggs
- 1 handful Cilantro
- 1 Green Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Harissa (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 Lime (squeezed)
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- Preheat the Oven: Start by preheating your oven to 400F (200C). This is important because you want the oven to be at the right temperature when you put the avocados in.
- Prepare the Avocados: Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Then, scoop out a bit of the flesh from the center of each half. Think about digging a little hole in the middle of the avocado without piercing through to the other side. Save the scooped-out flesh for a later salad or snack.
- Add the Harissa: Spread a small layer of harissa into the hole you’ve made in each avocado half. Harissa is a spicy chili paste that will add some heat to the dish. If you don’t like your food too spicy, you can adjust the amount of harissa to taste or skip it entirely.
- Add the Eggs: Carefully crack an egg into the hole of each avocado half. Try to get the yolk into the hole while allowing the white part to spill over the pan and around the avocado.
- Season: Add a pinch of sea salt to each avocado half. This will help to bring out the flavors of the avocado and the egg.
- Bake: Place the avocado halves on a baking pan and bake them in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. The cooking time will depend on how you like your eggs. If you prefer the yolks to be runny, bake for 10 minutes. If you prefer the yolks to be more set, bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish: Once the avocados are done baking, remove them from the oven and add all your toppings. Sprinkle with finely chopped green onion, cilantro, chili flakes, and sesame seeds. Then, finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. The lime juice will add a burst of freshness and help to balance out the heat of the harissa and chili flakes.
- Serve: Serve the baked avocados immediately while they are still warm.
Note: This recipe is quite versatile. Feel free to experiment with different toppings and seasonings to make it your own. For example, you could add some grated cheese on top before baking, or sprinkle with some crumbled feta cheese after baking.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: avocado, brunch, eggs, baked eggs, harissa, spicy, breakfast, healthy, protein