Cooked pears are combined with vanilla beans and lemon juice for a pure, satisfying flavor that does not overpower.
- 6 bosc (or bartlett) pears, peeled, cored, and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise with seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or honey)
- In a large saucepan, place prepared pears, sugar, water, lemon juice, vanilla bean seeds, and vanilla bean pod. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce heat, and simmer until the pears are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove vanilla bean pods. Stir in agave nectar. Cool until warm to the touch (it is dangerous to blend hot liquids because they expand drastically).
- Transfer pears and juices to a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Place in the refrigerator and chill 3-4 hours, or until cold.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream maker, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer sorbet to an airtight container and freeze for 2-3 hours before serving. The sorbet will keep well for 2 weeks in the freezer.
- Category: Dessert