Cut from sweet, spicy gingerbread, topped with a generous layer of royal icing and studded with a selection of pick and mix favorites, they conjure up memories of smearing fondant over digestives and calling it cooking, and will make a fun, festive addition to any Easter table.
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g butter (cut down from the original 125g to prevent spreading)
- 175g light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 250g royal icing
- 70g chocolate buttons
- 100g chocolate chips
- 75g strawberry laces
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices together into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the softened butter and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (like when you’re making crumble!)
- Stir through the sugar, and then add the egg and golden syrup, mixing thoroughly until everything is combined.
- Bring the mixture together with your hands (add a tsp or two of water if necessary) to form a smooth ball of dough.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out. Using your cutter (which doesn’t have to be a bunny, of course – use your imagination!), stamp out your biscuit shapes until all of the dough has been used.
- Place the biscuit shapes onto baking trays lined with parchment paper, and put these trays into the freezer for 5 minutes before popping them into the hot oven. You can do this in batches if necessary – I had three on rotation!
- Bake your biscuits for 12-15 minutes until they become a light golden brown.
- Leave them to cool on the parchment paper for at least 10 minutes before removing, and at least 30 minutes before icing.
- Whilst the biscuits are cooling, gradually add small drops of water to the royal icing sugar until you reach a thick consistency – the icing should be able to hold its shape and not run off the edges.
- Spread the icing across the surface of your cooled cookies, and then decorate them however you like!
Don’t make the mistake of leaving these cookies out on the side – store them in an airtight container. Biscuits left out tend to go soft – they’ll still taste delicious, but they’re much more satisfying with a bit of crunch.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins