Adapted from Food Network
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk, warm (heat 20 to 30 seconds in the microwave)
- 1 tablespoon sugar,
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Confectioner’s Sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place clarified butter in a cast iron skillet (about 9-10 inches) and place skillet into the oven. You may ask if you can substitute butter. I’m leery of butter for this recipe, as this cast iron skillet will get hot (see the 400 degrees above) and you’ll really not be watching the butter melt as you are making the batter. Clarified butter is the safer choice. You could easily end up with burned butter here. Any other high heat tolerant fat would be fine here as well.
- Place remaining ingredients in a mixer and mix at medium speed until well combined.
- Remove skillet from the oven and swirl butter completely around the pan. If the butter is excessive, whisk surplus into batter.
- Pour batter into pan and bake until golden brown and puffy, about 20-25 minutes. Serve sprinkled with confectioner’s (powdered) sugar.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Breakfast