Taste and add more/less dhaba tadka mix as per your taste buds. If you have the mix ready, this dal is so easy to make. Try it for a bowl of comfort and happiness.
- 1 cup white urad dal (split black gram)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp dhabba tadka mix
- juice of one lemon
For dhaba tadka mix:
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mace (javitri powder) [I didn’t use any]
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- To make the dhaba tadka mix: Dry roast the whole spices (cumin, coriander seeds, saunf, cloves and cinnamon) separately on a tawa. Add the turmeric powder, chilli, javitri powder (if using) and roast some more. Cool a bit and make a fine powder of the spices. Store in an air tight container.
- Pressure cook the dal with salt and turmeric up to 2 to 3 whistles (until mush). Using the back of a ladle, mash to a creamy consistency.
- In a pan, take a tablespoon of butter, fry the cumin seeds with ginger-garlic paste. Then add the onions till they turn translucent. Add chopped tomatoes, salt and green chillies.
- Add the tomato puree and the dhaba tadka mix. Cook until oil lightly separates from the edges.
- Pour the cooked dal and mix well. Cover and cook on low flame for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off heat and add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Tastes delicious with both rice and roti.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main