These cookies are incredibly good, definitely new favorites for the cookie jar, if they last that long.
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/4 cup water
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- 1&1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to375F.
- Center an oven rack.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put currants and water in a small saucepan and warm over medium heat until the currants are plumped and water is absorbed, stir in the orange zest-set aside.
- Place the rolled oats into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until ground.
- Transfer the ground oats to a medium bowl and stir in the flour, salt and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer cream together the butter and sugars, scraping down a couple of times, until light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl mix together the baking soda and boiling water, stir this mixture into the butter mixture.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and the plumped currants.
- Scoop the dough into small 1″ balls and place about 2 inches apart on the parchment lined sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the middle of the cookies are still soft but the edges are dark brown.
- Cool on metal racks.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Baking