This soup is smooth and comforting but with complex flavors that are at once sweet and smoky.
- 1 eggplant, roasted
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 large onion (about 1 cup) sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (the powder kind)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons raw (uncooked) rice
- 2 Tablespoons half and half
- salt and pepper
- Roast the eggplant: Coat the flesh part of the eggplant with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Place on the baking sheet face down and broil for 10-15 minutes, depending on how big the eggplant is. Then, flip over so that the skin side is down and broil 3-4 minutes.
- In a large pot or dutch oven add the zucchini, onion, curry, ginger, sprinkle of salt and pepper, and dry mustard. Mix together.
- Add the broth and rice, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and remove from heat. Let it cool for about 10 minutes and then add the roasted eggplant.
- Get out a blender, food processor, immersion blender, etc. and puree the soup until smooth – doing small batches. If using a blender I recommend using a dish towel to hold the top down…you don’t want hot liquid escaping…not that it happened to me or anything…
- You really do want it as smooth as you can get it!
- Add the smooth creamy soup back to the pot, add the half and half, taste it and probably throw in a bit more salt, maybe some pepper and reheat until warm.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Appetizer