Loaded with smoked trout, pomegranate and grilled halloumi. Dressed with Chimichurri and tahini dressing, and topped with a poached egg. This salad is anything but boring.
- 1 x 400 g (14.1 ounces tin chickpeas, rinsed & drained well)
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup firmly packed parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup firmly packed mint leaves
- 1/4 cup firmly packed coriander leaves
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 60 ml 2 fluid ounces olive oil
- salt & black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 400 g kale leaves (hard stems removed)
- 200 g haloumi (sliced 6-7 mm thick)
- 150–200 g hot smoked trout (or salmon, flaked)
- 50 g snow pea sprouts
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- 4 soft poached (or soft boiled eggs)
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. (390F)
- Tumble the drained chickpeas onto a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes. Toss them into a small bowl and mix through the olive oil, paprika and salt while hot. Set aside to cool completely before using.
- You may only need half of these as you’ll probably snack on the other half!
- Finely chop the parsley, mint and coriander. Toss the chopped greenery into a mixing bowl with all the other ingredients and give it a good stir. Cover and let it chill in the fridge.
- Whisk all ingredients together and set aside in the fridge, as well.
- To prepare the kale – bring a large pot of water (half filled) to the boil. Immerse the kale in the boiling water and immediately take it out and refresh it in ice cold water to stop it cooking further. Drain really well, shaking all the water out, and set aside. You can even go as far as laying the drained kale on a tea towel and dabbing it dry as if it were a newborn. Give it some love.
- To prepare the haloumi – heat a non-stick pan over high heat. Sear each slice of haloumi in the pan until golden on both sides. No need for oil.
- To assemble the salad – arrange the kale in a bowl or on a platter however you want. Add the haloumi, trout, sprouts, avocado and mint leaves – again, however you want.
- Top with the poached eggs, scatter with the pomegranate arils and spiced chickpeas, drizzled with the chimichurri and yoghurt-tahini dressing.
- Stab the egg and get it’s golden yolk-a-flowing, mix together and tuck in.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: salad, kale, trout, smoked trout, haloumi, mediterranean, italian, french, grilled, chickpeas, tahini, big salad