A traditional treat of Carnevale, chiacchiere are scraps of dough flavored in different ways, stretched thin, and fried in oil. Try this baked version for a healthier take on the classic.
- 250 g 9 oz brown rice flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 50 g 2 oz light brown sugar
- pinch of organic baking powder
- the rind of an organic lemon
- 1 large organic beaten egg
- 50 ml 2 fl oz mild extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Marsala dessert wine
- 3 tbsp milk
- icing sugar (optional to taste)
- Mix the flour with the salt, sugar, baking powder and lemon rind.
- Add the egg, oil, dessert wine, milk and knead until a firm dough.
- Form a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll out the dough so thin and form rectangles with the toothed wheel cutter. Place the strips on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake, in preheated oven, at 180° C, in a preheated oven (350° F / Gas 4) for 10 minutes.
- Once warm, decorated with icing sugar.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Pastry
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: carnavale, carnival, festival, pastries, italian, italian food, baking, bread, sweet bread