Preparing this glazed ham is actually very easy. Imagine how much you can save by cooking your own ham if you have a large family to feed.
- 2 kg gammon
- a lot of cloves
for the cooking tray
- 1 teaspoon of cinamon (or 1 stick)
- 10 peppercorns
- half an apple cut into small wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- a small sprig of thyme
- 1 small onion
for the glaze
- 4 teaspoons of apple syrup
- 2 teaspoons of mustard
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cider vinegar
- preheat your oven to 160° Gas
- Cook the gammon by filling half a roasting tray with apple juice or water, add the mix of spices and finally the ham.
- Cover with tinfoil and leave to cook for about 45-60 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze by adding all the ingredients to a small pan and warm it through.
- When ready, take the ham out of the oven and let it rest for 30 minutes, covered.
- After the ham has rested and cooled, take of the skin but leaving a generous amount of fat on the meat.
- Score the meat with a sharp knife and stick a clove in each crossing.
- Now you can start brushing the glaze onto the meat.
- Brush on one generous coating and put the ham in the oven for 30 minutes. Add another coating of glaze after 15 minutes.
- Ones removed from the oven, leave to rest in the baking tin for 10 minutes while you set the table.
We ate this ham with roasted potatoes and a fresh salad.
The leftover ham is great in pasta dishes or in a sandwich, the options are endless.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 mins