Potato and Rainbow Chard Soup
Bulk up a hearty, vegan winter soup with nutritious potatoes and warm the soul with comforting spice.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch rainbow chard cut into 1/2-inch pieces (including stems)
- 1 cup white wine such as chardonnay
- 4 cups diced red- and white-skinned potatoes
- 1 quart unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper, and cook until the onions begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
Add the rainbow chard and the white wine and cook until the greens have wilted and the wine has reduced slightly, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes and stock and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.