Easy Slow Cooker Sloppy Joe
School is back in session and fall is right around the corner. Cozy up with this easy slow cooker sloppy joe that does all the dinner work for you during the day.
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 1 lb. sausage meat I used mild Italian
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- ½ cup water
- 213 ml. 7 oz. tomato sauce
- 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup flour with ¼ cup water
- 8 hamburg buns
- Cheddar cheese grated
In a large saute pan over medium-high heat add the beef, sausage, onion and green pepper. Cook until the meat until browned. Drain if necessary and then add the ½ cup water to scrape up any caramelized bits in the pan while stirring and let evaporate.
Add this mixture to your slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients except the flour and stir well. Cover and cook slowly on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
About 20 min. prior to finishing mix the flour with warm water and whisk into the sloppy joes. Turn to high and let bubble and thicken.
Place a large spoonful on the bottom of a hamburg bun. Top with cheddar cheese and run quickly under a broiler. Top with the other bun and serve.