Polish Lentil Stew
This Polish lentil stew, or Grochowka, is very similar to dhal and just as hearty and delicious.
- 300 g dried split red lentils
- 1 large carrot peeled and cubed
- 1/4 small celeriac peeled and cubed
- 1 small parsnip peeled and cubed
- 2 large potatoes cubed
- 1 small leek sliced thinly
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 2 large garlic cloves or 4-5 small ones peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 80 g cold-smoked speck diced optional or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- a few sprigs fresh thyme
Place all ingredients except for the garlic, marjoram and speck in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add more water if you prefer the dhal to be thinner.
Turn off the heat, add crushed garlic, marjoram and stir through. If using, fry off the speck until crispy. Drizzle the rendered fat and crispy pieces or olive oil over the soup.
Serve on its own or with some bread, quinoa or rice.