For a refreshing appetizer, serve fresh scallops with a bright onion, tomato, and lime juice topping.
Scallops A La Chalaca is a simple and elegant way to serve super fresh scallops — we’re talking sushi grade. If you can find them in the shell like Lucho did, follow these steps for cleaning and preparing them, reserving the shells for an extra special presentation. Otherwise, serve the Scallops A La Chalaca in small dishes or wide mouthed short wine glasses.
- 12 LARGE SEA SCALLOPS
- ¼ CUP MINCED RED ONION
- ¾ CUP DICED TOMATO, SEEDS + EXCESS JUICES REMOVED
- 2 TBS FRESHLY SQUEEZED LIME JUICE
- 1 TSP MINCED AJI AMARILLO, VEINS + SEEDS REMOVED
- ½ TSP PISCO
- MALDON SALT TO TASTE
- CRACKED BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
- Mix together minced onions, tomatoes, chile, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper and refrigerate, covered, for half an hour.
- Place washed and dried scallops on half shell or in individual dishes. Spoon the tomato mixture over each one. Season with finishing salt and cracked black pepper to taste and garnish with the cilantro.