This homemade pistachio ice cream is loaded with real pistachio nuts for an amazingly cool, creaming, and flavorful dessert.
Pistachio has to be one of my all-time favorite ice cream flavors. If you haven’t had a homemade version, this is your chance. It’s smooth, creamy and full of real pistachio flavor.
One necessary ingredient for that quintessential “pistachio taste” is actually almond extract. Just a little bit, because it can be quite overpowering if you overdo it. If you’re more into a pure flavor from the nuts, simply omit the almond extract and add a splash of vanilla instead.
- ¾ C unsalted, toasted pistachios, roughly chopped, plus more for serving
- ¼ C sugar
- ¼ C cream
- 1 ½ C heavy cream
- 1 ½ C whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- ½ C sugar
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1-3 drops green food coloring (optional; I used 2 drops)
- Take out the cream, milk and eggs to allow them to start to come to room temperature while preparing the pistachio paste. For the paste, finely grind the pistachios using a food processor. Add sugar and continue to grind for about 1-2 minutes. Add cream and pulse to combine. Set aside.
- For the ice cream base, combine the cream, milk and salt in a medium saucepan. Warm over medium heat until the mixture comes to slight simmer. Place a sieve over a large bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Temper the eggs by spooning in about a ½ cup of the warm cream mixture while constantly whisking. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pan, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk for about 3-5 minutes or until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove pan from the heat and whisk in the pistachio paste.
- Pour the ice cream base into the prepared bowl through the sieve to remove any lumps or large pieces of nuts. There should be no more than 1-2 tablespoons of pistachios left behind. Stir in the almond extract and food coloring, if using. Chill in the fridge at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Freeze using an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Allow to freeze completely in freezer. Top with chopped pistachios, if desired. Enjoy.