A fast, easy and economical vegetarian treat for a Meatless Monday any day of the week.
- 1 lb of white mushrooms quartered
- 8 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp of fennel seed
- 1 1/2 Tbs of coriander seed
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 pieces of star anise
- 1/4 tsp of mace
- 4 dried red chilies broken into pieces
- 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of cumin seed
- 1 or 2 large shallots
- 3 red onions
- 2 Tbs of vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs of white poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 Tbs of tamarind pulp (or lemon juice)
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 cup grated dried unsweetened coconut
- Dry roast the cloves, cumin seed, coriander seed, star anise, chilies, mace, peppercorns, fennel seed and poppy seeds in a small skillet.
- When the spices start to get fragrant, toss in coconut and toast that too until it starts to brown.
- Take it off the stove and let the spices cool.
- Put the spices and coconut in a small blender or food processor with 2 chopped shallots and 1 cup of water.
- Blend it until it’s a smooth paste.
- Set it aside.
- In a skillet or kadhai heat 2 Tbs of vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot add 3 chopped red onions.
- Saute them until they brown.
- Add in the quartered mushrooms and salt, stir well.
- Add in the spice paste mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and the tamarind pulp or lemon juice.
- Simmer everything together for about 5 minutes or so until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Sprinkle a bit of chopped fresh cilantro over the top and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins