PARTNER POST: Discover how delicious dairy-free sweet and savory cooking can be with DREAM Ultimate Almond.
This simple summer soup is loaded with fresh vegetables and comes together in about half an hour. It’s light, but filling and given a slight creaminess from almonds.
I will eat soup year-round. I don’t think that it’s ever “too hot” for soup. I mean, a burger off the grill is hot, too, but people eat those all summer like they’re going out of style! For me, soup is the ultimate in simplicity and comfort. Plus, I cannot think of many things that cannot be “soupified” with delicious results.
When I think of ways that I can cram all the vegetables into a dish, pastas and soups seem like the most obvious choices. Zucchini, crookneck squash, red peppers, jalapeño, mushrooms, onions, celery…what else could I fit into this summer vegetable soup? I did a quick sauté in butter to start softening everything up then I added some vegetable broth and let it simmer. DREAM Ultimate Almond Unsweetened Almond Beverage added just a hint of creaminess and a very mild nutty flavor. A dream indeed. Just my opinion, I think it made the soup a little more filling than similar soups I’ve made with whole milk or cream.
The new DREAM Ultimate Almond beverage can be found now at Whole Foods and soon at your local Sprouts. Click here for a coupon.
For more inspiration, check out this grilled Caesar salad with a dairy-free dressing:
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms wiped clean and sliced or quartered
- 2 small zucchini coarsely chopped
- 2 medium yellow squashes coarsely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups DREAM Ultimate Almond Unsweetened
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Preheat the butter or coconut oil in a 6 quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and sauté until beginning to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and yellow squash and stir to combine. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until all of the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the DREAM Ultimate Almond. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, topped with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Mary Haymaker is a teacher by day and a cook, food writer, and photographer by night. She has lived in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area her entire life and is dedicated to supporting the growing local food movement there. You can read more of Mary’s writing at her blog, chattavore.com.