A gluten-free spin on an Italian classic. Bitter greens in broth with miniature hand-rolled meatballs.
Shutterstock: Gabriel Georgescu
- 1 package lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- Golden flaxseed meal
- 6-8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 head escarole
- 6-7 stalks of broccoli rabe
- 5-6 sundried tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- crushed red pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease one baking sheet.
- Combine all ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl. Mix with your hands.
- Roll the meat mixture into 1/2 inch balls. Line baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs for 20-30 minutes.
- While meatballs are in oven, heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Chop red onion and add to the pot to soften.
- Chop garlic and add to the pot when onions have softened.
- Once garlic has browned, add stock to your pot.
- While stock is heating, rinse escarole and broccoli rabe.
- Chop washed greens into small pieces and add to stock.
- Chop sundried tomatoes and add to broth, along with spices.
- Heat soup until all greens are wilted.
- Heat soup and add desired quantity of polpette, or allow guests to add polpette to their individual bowl.
Carly is a Contributing Writer at Honest Cooking. Though the first line of her college application essay was "I love tunafish," it wasn't until she pursued graduate studies in Paris that she ever considered a future in food. Based in Manhattan, Carly is a freelance writer and the co-founder of Cognoscenti Creative, a boutique branding agency dedicated to establishing artisans as influencers.