Treat yourself to a slice of sticky, moist, decadent hazelnut cake.
Today’s cake is part of my childhood memories. The original cake is a spiced walnut cake soaked in syrup, so delicious. My mom though adds some chocolate in the syrup and it gets so irresistible!
Today we take a traditional Greek walnut cake and kick it up a notch! I substitute walnuts with hazelnuts and the results were heavenly. Fluffy, moist hazelnut cake soaked in chocolate syrup, promised to satisfy the pickiest taste buds! Do not fear the sugar, is really well balanced and isn’t overwhelming at all.
- 7 oz (200 grams) unsalted butter,soften
- 1 cup of sugar.
- 5 eggs,room temperature and separated yolks from egg whites
- 2 cups finely ground hazelnuts
- ½ cup GF bread crumbs.
- ½ cup gluten free flour for baking
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- zest from 1 orange
- ½ cup cognac or rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups of sugar
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Grease with butter a bundt cake or a 10x 10 inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a stand
mixer,beatthe egg whites until a steady peaks appear. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a small bowl add the dry
ingredients:flour,bread crumbs,baking Set aside. powder,salt,hazelnuts.
- In a medium
bowl,beatwith a hand mixer butter and sugar,untilpale and creamy.
- Add the egg yolks and beat
inmedium speed until yolks well-incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients in the batter and beat until dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Add rum and beat for a minute.
- Take the beaten egg whites from the fridge and add ⅓ at a time and fold with a rubber
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Simply,addall syrup ingredients and let it simmer ina medium heat for 10-15 minutes until thickens slightly. Let it cool down completely.
- When your cake is ready and piping
hot,straightfrom the oven pour cold chocolate syrup on top and let it sit until cools down. Cakewill absorb syrup.
- We need cold syrup and hot cake or cooled cake and hot syrup
- You can keep the remaining chocolate
syrup,andadd it in your kid’s milk, your coffee or your pancakes!