It’s that time of year again – when steaming hot, creamy risottos become an essential part of dinnertimes. This mushroom and thyme risotto is a classic – and it’s super easy. Happy Meatless Monday!
If you’re like me and you can’t get enough of this Italian rice dream – here are 4 more delicious risotto recipes.Print
- Author: Hello Fresh
- Category: Main
- 1 Vegetable Stock Pot
- 1 Stick Celery
- 1/2 Onion (chopped)
- 2 Garlic Clove (chopped)
- 1 small punnet Chestnut Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 1/2 Thyme
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Grilled Artichokes (chopped)
- 5 tbsp Flat Leaf Parsley (chopped)
- 4 tbsp Hard Italian Vegetarian Cheese
- Bring 800ml of water to a gentle simmer in a pot. Once simmering, add the stock pot and stir until dissolved. Tip: Leave the stock on the lowest heat to keep it hot during the whole cooking process. Peel and very finely chop half your onion as finely as your knife skills allow. Peel and finely chop your garlic. Roughly slice the chestnut mushrooms. Pull your thyme leaves off their stalks. Grate the zest of your lemon.
- Heat 1 tbsp of butter (if you have it) and 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan on medium-low heat. Tip: If you don’t have butter, use more olive oil or use the oil from the artichokes for extra flavour. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 3 mins, then add the garlic, mushrooms, thyme and lemon zest and continue to cook until everything is nice and soft. Tip: Do not let the onion burn – if it is cooking too fast, add 1 tbsp of water and turn the heat to low.
- Add the risotto rice and stir for 1 minute until the grains are glossy. Turn heat to medium, add ½ tsp of salt and stir. Tip: After about 3 mins there should be a slight translucency around the edges of the rice. Now add the white wine vinegar and bubble for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 ladles of stock to the rice and stir it with long, massaging motions. Once the stock is almost soaked in, add another 2 ladles and continue stirring. Continue adding stock and stirring until the rice is cooked (around 25 mins).
- In the meantime, roughly chop the artichokes and parsley. Once the risotto is almost ready add the artichokes and grated cheese to the pan. You want to have a slightly runny consistency so add a little more water to loosen it up if needed. Taste and then add more salt and pepper (we like to add a pinch of salt and ½ tsp of black pepper!). Stir in the parsley and a small squeeze of lemon juice careful not too much of the latter!).
At HelloFresh, we want to give people the simple knowledge they need to cook delicious, healthy meals. Whether you want know how to boil an egg or cook an elaborate dinner menu, you know who to call!