Shrimp and grits is a Southern favorite which has been adapted in this recipe to feature the Northeast favorite, buffalo sauce and blue cheese. It’s crispy shrimp tossed with spicy, buttery buffalo sauce, and corn grits with plenty of salty, crumbly blue cheese.
For the Blue Cheese Grits:
- Click the link above for the recipe.
For the Crispy Buffalo Shrimp
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves (grated or minced)
- ½ cup hot sauce (recommended: Frank’s red hot)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 pound raw large or extra-large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (for gluten free, use all rice flour)
- ½ cup rice flour (or cornstarch)
- ½ cup peanut (grapeseed or other neutral oil, for shallow frying)
- Make the grits, click the link above for the recipe.
To make the shrimp:
- In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, ½ teaspoon salt, baking soda, and cornstarch and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- To make the sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan set on medium heat and add garlic. Cook, stirring until garlic is fragrant but not brown, about 1 minute. Stir in hot sauce and honey and bring to a simmer. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Heat about a half inch of oil in a large, heavy skillet set on medium-high heat. Dredge shrimp in flour mixture and shake off excess. When oil is hot (test by dropping in a tiny sprinkle of flour. If it bubbles, the oil is hot) Gently add shrimp, being careful not to crowd pan. Work in batches, if necessary. Cook shrimp until crisp and just cooked through, turning once, about 1 minute per side, depending on the size of the shrimp. Be careful not to overcook. Remove cooked shrimp to a bowl and toss to coat with 3 to 4 tablespoons of warm buffalo sauce.
- To serve, spoon a generous portion of grits into a warm serving bowl and top with some shrimp, a sprinkle of reserved blue cheese, and some chopped scallions. Drizzle with more buffalo sauce, as desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main