This moist and fragrant recipe is a tribute to the Amalfi Coast, full of colors and scents. A unique place where everyone feels at home.
Photos by G. Giustolisi
Among the sweetest memories that tourists bring with them from a trip to the Amalfi Coast is, undoubtedly, the unique taste and the unmistakable scent of sweets with lemon. Many specialties, created by pastry chefs of the place (custards, sorbets, cakes, cookies) have, as their main ingredient, lemon. A tradition that continues even in the kitchen of the houses where prepare delicious desserts and cakes (and not only).
This moist and fragrant recipe is a little tribute to my South, warm, friendly, full of colors and scents. Unique. Places where everyone feels at home.
- 100 g 3½ oz cornflour (cornstarch)
- 200 g 7 oz rice flour
- 1 teaspoon organic baking powder organic means no dry chemical baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 150 g 5½ 0z light brown sugar
- zest of one organic lemon
- 2 eggs
- 80 ml 2½fl oz/ milk (or rice milk )
- 80 ml 2 ½ fl oz/ mild extra virgin olive oil or 100 ml (3½ fl oz) cold-pressed organic sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon Limoncello
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, pinch of salt, 100 g brown sugar and set aside.
- Whisk the lemon zest in a food processor with the remaining 50 grams of sugar.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, add the oil and a tablespoon of Limoncello.?Add gently the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the lemon zest and stir quickly.
- Pour the dough into individual molds, greased and floured.?Bake, in preheated oven, at 180°C (350°/gas 4), for 15 minutes.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.