In muffin or loaf form, this zucchini banana bread is our go-to recipe when our garden in overflowing with zucchini and there are brown bananas on the counter. It’s the perfect sweet, soft treat.
My garden has actually really taken off this year, and it’s no lie – I’m having a hard time keeping up with all of the zucchini, kale, and cucumbers right now! I’ve been sneaking them into every little meal or baked good that I can and today I have a new bread and muffin recipe to share with you!
I absolutely love this recipe for Zucchini Banana Bread and Muffins for so many reasons. For one, not only does it use fresh zucchini, but it has ripe bananas in it too. So I get to use up those brown bananas in my kitchen AND the zucchini in my garden. Winning!
Another reason? This recipe can be made into muffins, bread, or both! I used to think that most bread recipes could be made into muffins and I’ve found that isn’t necessarily true. Sometimes, while it will bake up beautifully in a bread pan, recipes just don’t work the same as muffins, and vice versa. This one worked great as both bread and muffins.
This will be, without a doubt, my new go-to zucchini bread recipe. I’m pretty sure I’ll have fresh zucchini on hand for another month or so now, and I always (always!) have ripe bananas either on my counter or in the freezer.
We ate through the loaf in a matter of two days, and I froze all of the muffins to have as a quick and easy snack for myself, Lars, or Marc whenever we need one.
While I used brown sugar as the main sweetener, as opposed to something a little healthier like honey or maple syrup, the rest of the ingredients stack up pretty well. There’s white whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and zucchini for a good serving of veggies. I also added a handful of dark chocolate chips to the bread. I probably would have added more but it was all I had. I know – what a shame that I am out of chocolate chips now!
I hope you give this zucchini banana bread and muffin recipe a try out – you will love it!
- 2 cups mashed banana (about 4 very large or 5 medium ripe bananas)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup canola or coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour would work too)
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional....I added ~1/2 cup to our loaf of bread)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 8.5" x 4.5" loaf pan and 12-muffin pan with cooking spray. Alternately, you can make two loaves or 24 muffins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed banana, brown sugar, oil, and eggs until well combined.
- Add baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, and whisk until well combined.
- Add flour and stir in with a spatula.
- Fold in grated zucchini.
- Fill muffin tin up ~3/4 of the way. Pour remaining batter into loaf pan.
- Place muffin pan and loaf pan in oven.
- Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes, or until tops spring back.
- Bake loaf for 50-55 minutes, until top is golden brown and it springs back.
- Let cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Note: these also freeze well!