White Grapefruit is a fresh, citrusy spin on the traditional Italian dessert. It is the perfect way to brighten spring flavors.
I’m a very citrusy person, which means that I LOVE lemons, limes, oranges and above all white grapefruits. I’m in love with the tanginess and sweetness of these precious gifts of nature and for that reason I made a healthier and fresher version of the most famous Italian dessert in the whole world : the Tiramisu’. This recipe also works great with lemons. Have a boost of vitamin C while enjoying a delicious dessert and savoring the taste of the upcoming summer.
- 1 white grapefruit
- 2 eggs, separated
- 7 tablespoons caster sugar
- 8 ounces fresh mascarpone cheese
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup water
- 7 ounces savoiardi
- Wash, dry and grate half of the peel of the white grapefruit, then squeeze out the juice of the whole grapefruit. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg yolks and 5 tablespoons of sugar with a hand mixer until creamy.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and continue to beat until incorporated.
- In a second mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff then gently fold into the mascarpone cream.
- In a third mixing bowl, whip the chilled heavy whipping cream until stiff then fold into the mascarpone cream.
- Stir in the grated grapefruit peel.
- Pour the grapefruit juice and 1 cup of water into a rim soup plate, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Spoon the bottom of a baking dish with a little amount of the mascarpone cream.
- Dip briefly the ladyfingers (one at the time) into the grapefruit and water mixture, then squeeze out the excess of liquid.
- Make a layer of dipped ladyfingers into the baking dish then spoon evenly half of the mascarpone cream over the ladyfingers.
- Make another layer of dipped ladyfingers, spoon evenly the remaining mascarpone cream over the ladyfingers.
- Cover the grapefruit tiramisu’ tightly with cling wrap and allow to rest in the fridge at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve garnished with grapefruit slices.