Bite sized pieces of watermelon and peaches are marinated in sweet and tangy Lemon Allspice Marinade. The salad is served with the marinated fruit, crumbled feta, and pistachios. It is perfect for tailgating, back yard entertaining, or any other summer meal where watermelon lovers will be dining.
By Taylor Mathis and Sally James
Bite sized pieces of watermelon and peaches are marinated sweet and tangy Lemon Allspice Marinade. The salad is served with the marinated fruit, crumbled feta, and pistachios. It is perfect for tailgating, back yard entertaining, or any other summer meal where watermelon lovers will be dining. If I’m eating this salad with you, be careful, I will pick all the watermelon out of the bowl.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- ¼ crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 cups bite sized watermelon pieces
- 3 cups peeled, bite sized fresh peaches
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup pistachios 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ½ cup lemon allspice syrup** (see above)
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- To make the lemon allspice syrup put the sugar, water, lemon zest, allspice and red pepper flakes into a small saucepan. Cook the syrup over Medium High heat until the sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the syrup until it is reduced by half (about 30 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove the syrup from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Strain the syrup and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the watermelon and peaches. Make the Lemon Allspice Dressing by putting ½ cup of the allspice syrup, vinegar, lemon juice and salt into a small bowl. Stir the dressing until well mixed. Pour the dressing over the watermelon and peaches. Toss the fruit until it is well covered with the dressing. Chill the fruit until ready to serve the salad. (up to 12 hours)
- To assemble the salad toss the watermelon and peaches with the dressing. Put the fruit onto a serving platter. Cover the fruit with feta and pistachios. Garnish with 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest. Serve.