This raw food dish made from Finnish nature will wow you. Preparing this salad couldn’t be easier and yet the flavors are delicious and complex.
While today it may be slightly less commonplace, individuals and trained chefs like Sami Tallberg still forage for the prized edibles. Bring the gathered lands of Finland to your kitchen with this earthy salad. For more foraged, Finnish recipes, check out Chef Sami Tallberg’s beautiful cookbook, Wild, Weird & Wonderful – Finnish Cuisine Today. Cep mushrooms, also know as porcinos, can be found at specialty stores or your local farmer’s markets. As always, be cautious when enjoying foraged foods.
- 4 quality, medium-sized cepes mushrooms, thinly-sliced
- 4 pieces, tender cattail core, sliced diagonally
- 1 large handful of edible plants and greens, washed and dried
- Fine sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ dl (3 tablespoons) quality, cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- Mix everything together in a large bowl.
- Serve the salad making a tall, fluffed heap on each plate.