Sponsored Post: We’re celebrating Vinho Verde wines this season. These Portuguese bottles are young, fresh, vibrant, and affordable. It’s the perfect wine for all your favorite summer recipes, beach trips, and vacations. It truly is like no other wine in the world.
The star of this recipe is the herb mint sauce pairing playfully with grilled lamb and a versatile Vinho Verde wine. A delightful summer trio.
Summer is in full effect. With the warmer, longer days always comes the onslaught of grilling season. There’s something magical about starting your own fire and using it to cook food that I love whenever I get the chance. But living in a New York City apartment I don’t have the opportunity to grill outside very much, so for the times when I’m craving some nice crosshatches without having to find someone with a backyard, I turn to my trusty grill pan.
Whether indoors or outdoors, this recipe for grilled lamb chops with mint herb sauce is a sure bet. Lamb isn’t always the first protein that comes to mind when people think of grilling, but this dish might just change a few minds. I’m a big fan of lamb and love the distinctly meat flavor it offers. Lamb has a decent amount of fat, so I paired it with a bright, mint herb sauce full of vibrancy, acidity, and a little bit of spice.
When it comes time to pick a beverage, I suggest Vinho Verde. For those unfamiliar with this wine, it represents a style from the largest wine region in Portugal. It’s pretty widely available, very affordable, and I find it to be quite delicious. I love to drink Vinho Verde chilled in the summer because it’s unique, fresh, and sometimes has soft bubbles that adds some effervescence (and makes you feel fancy). Vinho Verde’s versatility makes it the perfect beverage pairing for this grilled lamb dish, acting as a great balance to meat and playing off of the flavors of the mint herb sauce.
The lamb is simply seasoned with salt and pepper before getting grilled to your desired doneness. This allows the true flavor of the meat to come through and lets the sauce and Vinho Verde truly shine. This trifecta is one that you’ll want to enjoy again and again. Fire up your grill (or grill pan) and you won’t be disappointed with this recipe.
- 1 bunch mint, leaves only
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley and tender stems
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds lamb loin chops
- Salt and pepper
- Add all of the ingredients except the olive oil to a food processor and run until finely chopped. (You may need to scrape the sides down a few times.) With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil until well blended. (You may need to scrape the sides down a few times here too.) Transfer to a bowl; reserve. (Yields approximately 1 cup. Will last in the refrigerator for a few days. You can add more olive oil to loosen it as desired.)
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of the lamb with some salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook to the desired temperature. (Medium-rare/medium took about 2 to 3 minutes per side on my stovetop grill pan.) Transfer to a cutting board or other serving platter.
- Spoon some of the Mint Herb Sauce over the lamb and serve with the remaining sauce on the side. Don’t forget to pair with Vinho Verde!