This ice cream making method requires no cooking and manages to be creamy and luscious while staying vegan.
By Mariela Alvarez Toro
- 1 ¾ cups raw cashews
- 3 ½ cups filtered water
- 14 mejdool dates
- ¾ cups cocoa powder
- ¾ cup roasted hazelnuts
- Place raw cashews in a small bowl. Cover with water and soak overnight (6-8 hours).
- Pit dates and place in a clean bowl. Cover with water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain cashews and dates.
- Place inside a high-speed blender, such as a Vitamix, and blend at high speed for one minute. Add dates and cocoa powder. Blend for another minute or two, until smooth.
- Transfer ice cream mix into a large bowl and cover with plastic wrapper. Refrigerate for at least an hour before transferring into an ice cream maker.
- Follow your ice cream maker’s manufacturer instructions. It usually takes 20-25 minutes for the gelato to thicken.
- Once thick, add chopped hazelnuts, mix until well distributed. Transfer to a freezer proof container. Freeze for 6-8 hours until ready to serve.
- Thaw at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!