Swap out the smoked meats and seafood usually found in Creole rice stew for this vegan bean étouffée loaded with spice, beans and liquid smoke.
I’m all about making a big pot of something delicious for the week. My husband, Bill, will take leftovers for lunches, I’ll use it on nights when dinner prep is lacking. Hey it happens to me too! To optimize this recipe, and boost up the protein substantially, I used quinoa instead of rice as the base layer. Easy swap but substantial benefits for recovering muscles.
A friend of mine shared the inspiration for this recipe with me a few weeks ago from this cookbook. After testing it a few times, I tweaked it and amped up the flavor. I’m planning on making this dish a lot during the cooler months of fall and winter. I cannot wait!
Want to make this in no time? I used my Instant Pot.
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, washed/chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño diced
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of kidney beans (soaked overnight or at least for 8 hours) then drained
- 1 -14.5 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbl smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- White or brown rice
- Cilantro leaves (garnish)
- Begin by turning your IP sauté on. Once hot, add your olive oil. Once heated, add your onions and peppers. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring often. Then add your garlic and jalapeño. Cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Turn the machine off. Add the following ingredients: broth, beans, tomatoes, liquid smoke and seasonings. Stir well to combine. Place the lid on and lock. Turn the venting knob to sealed. Press the manual button and set the time for 16 minutes. The machine will turn on automatically. Allow the machine to naturally release once done cooking. This takes around 11 minutes.
- Once done, open the lid carefully. Taste test and add salt and pepper as needed. Place a bed of rice or quinoa on the bottom of each plate and top with your beans. Garnish with cilantro. Serve.