If you prefer, you can substitute turkey or chicken scaloppine in place of the veal in this savory pumpkin recipe.
By Jovina Coughlin
- 16 veal scaloppine, about 1.5 oz each, pounded thin
- 1 lb pumpkin, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb chicory
- 1 ¼ oz almonds, sliced
- ½ an onion
- All-purpose flour
- 1 ½ oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- White wine to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Gently saute the onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until lightly golden and then add the pumpkin slices.
- Salt and pepper the pumpkin and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, covered. Mash the pumpkin into a puree and add the grated Parmesan. Set aside.
- Place the pounded slices of veal on a work surface and spread each one with pumpkin puree. Roll them up tightly and roll in flour.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and brown veal rolls, about 6 minutes. You may need more butter.
- Add enough wine to cover the bottom of the pan and allow it to evaporate. Cover the pan and cook the veal rolls for 6-8 minutes more.
- Finely chop the chicory and add it to a skillet containing 1 tablespoon of olive oil; add the almonds and salt and pepper. Cook until the chicory wilts.
- Serve the veal rolls over the chicory mixture.