Vanilla Cardamom Cranberry Sauce
Don't settle for canned cranberry sauce this Thanksgiving when the homemade stuff is so much better and can be a vehicle for such flavors as vanilla and cardamom.
Author: Natasha Steinberg
Recipe Type: Side
Serves: 3 pints
- 24 oz. fresh cranberries
- 450 g (2¼ cups) granulated sugar
- 420 ml (1¾ cups) freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest from 2 large oranges
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 tsp. cardamom (feel free to add more to taste)
- ½ tsp. ground cloves (optional)
- In a large pot, stir cranberries, sugar, and orange juice and zest to combine. Place over medium-high heat.
- Add vanilla bean pod and seeds, cardamom, and cloves. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and continue to cook until thickened, about 15 minutes. At this point, give it a little taste and adjust spices/sweetness as necessary.
- Remove from heat and let cool in the pot for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to jars or a serving bowl. Slather on turkey, dressing, and the like. Take a nap.