Make a batch of this easy savory chickpea snack mix full of protein and fiber. It’s a great on-the-go snack with tons of flavor.
The older I get, the more I find myself gravitating towards salty snacks over sweet ones. When traveling by car or by plane (or train!) I reach for the crunchy, salty option every time.
Now that sweet is not my first reach these days, there’s still always the dilemma of healthy salty-crunchy or whatever looks best at the convenience store (I see you Fritos).
Enter this spicy roasted chickpea snack mix and problem solved. Roasted chickpeas can be deliciously addictive all on their own, but added to a combination of nuts and seeds and you’ve got a trail mix worth reaching for. A perfect salty, spicy crunch every time.
Based on your tolerance and spicy preference, you can use more or less cayenne. I tend to like things on the spicier side, so I used the 1/2 teaspoon noted in the recipe.
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt for sprinkling
- 1 lbs raw nuts and seeds of choice almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pepitas
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper based on spicy preference
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Drain can of chickpeas and rinse. Dry chickpeas gently with paper towel. Place chickpeas on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss with hands to coat.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until chickpeas have become crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, place nuts and seeds and cooled chickpeas. Add all seasonings and toss to coat. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag.